Date:      Tue, 05 Jan 1999 20:27:17 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printed man pages (was: Looking for the best webmaster.)

Greg Lehey writes:
> On Tuesday,  5 January 1999 at 19:08:31 -0600, David Kelly wrote:
> > Most of the manpages are printed in Greg Lehey's book, "The Complete
> > FreeBSD". Book is cheaper than the paper and toner required to print
> > the manpages. See http://www.cdrom.com/
>
> The general consensus is that the man pages are a waste of space, and
> they make the book too heavy.  The next edition won't have them.  If
> anybody has strong feelings about this, please let me know.

I think there may be more manpages in the book than the minimum
requirement to fill the books needs. But I also feel there is a need for
bound printed manpages. I remember way back when we used to get printed
manpage updates from SGI to go in the 3-ring (or was it 5-ring?)
binders. Then in 1991 the new systems came with spiral bound
documentation. And now they come with less printed documentation than my
PowerMac came with.

Would like to see FreeBSD manpages as a separate book. Would also be
interested in really deep detailed printed documentation on the specific
guts of FreeBSD but am not curious enough to spring for McKusick's video
course.

There is nothing like a printed book to put yourself to sleep with at
night. I keep my copies of the ORA Sendmail, Bind, and MH, books handy
for treating insomnia.