Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:42:24 +1100
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        gnb@itga.com.au, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/33637: Panic: vm_page_unwire: invalid wire count: 0

>  The submitter of the PR
> was operating under a false assumption - that he could run any program and
> assume that it was impossible for it to crash the OS.

But I don't think that is a false assumtion.  On the contrary, that is exactly
what I would expect and hope to find from a "production quality" OS like
FreeBSD. (In contrast to a GUI-based PC OS, where far too much user code runs
with elevated privs. I am not at all surprised when user programs can kill
Windows.)

IMO the submitter was being entirely reasonable in making that assumption - or
at least, on finding a violation of that assumption, to report it and expect it
to be treated as a bug.  (Even if the response is "we know it's a bug and it's
hard to fix, here's a workaround using login.conf".)

I guess we can agree to differ here, and I ain't nothing 'cept a user, but my
gut feel is that the wider FreeBSD team tends to my way of thinking rather than
yours!!!