Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:16:22 +0300
From:      Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@amdmi3.ru>
To:        Eitan Adler <eitanadlerlist@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: svn for make fetch

* Eitan Adler (eitanadlerlist@gmail.com) wrote:

> I was hoping to get a bit more of a response to a recent posting of
> mine with regard to using svn to fetch files for ports
> My proposal: http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/msg23776.html
> A summary of what has been going on:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/EitanAdler/ports-svn

This was discussed many times before, and this is a bad idea.
- No checksums -> security issue
- No distfile caching/mirroring -> excess traffic consumption and
  horrible availability
and I hope you're not even thinking of fetching from VCS without
specifying exact revision.

Some standard way of generating distfiles from VCS may be nice though,
if it goes into separate mk-file and supports all major VCS.

--
Dmitry Marakasov   .   55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56  9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D
amdmi3@amdmi3.ru  ..:  jabber: amdmi3@jabber.ru    http://www.amdmi3.ru