Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 1997 09:35:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Miroslav Kes <mira@rockwell.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.2: wdc0 not found at 0x1f0 :-(

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Miroslav Kes wrote:

> Hm, you are right the SCSI CD-ROM would be better but I have another PC
> where all the drives and CDROM are on PCI/IDE, the CD-ROM is the same as
> in this case and everything works fine with FreeBSD. I think the CD-ROM
> is not the problem.
> The problem is that FreeBSD cannot find the IDE controller at all.
> Looking for the devices on that controller would be next step if the
> controlled was found, wouldn't be? Even if I disconnected the CDROM from
> the IDE connector the error message was the same.
> On the other hand Win NT had no problem to find all devices including
> the CD-ROM.

Well, the IDE controller may not respond if it's been configured
incorrectly or is running up against some adversity from the CDROM and
isn't able to function.  Have you tried connecting a hard disk to this
machine using a known good cable?

Have you checked in Windows and made sure it hasn't tried to change the
resource settings?

> Today I asked my vendor what type of the motherbord is in the PC. It is
> Intel Rosewood RC440 SX.

This is super-duper new, if I remember my Intel roadmap properly.  I
certainly hope that Intel hasn't done something silly with the IDE
controller.