Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 17:34:05 -0500
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, freebsd-new-bus@FreeBSD.ORG, crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: when is dinfo instantiated?

> I'm confused here.  The pci bus' parent will need to set the ivars
> for the bus instance.  The pci bus' parent is generally the nexus,
> which doesn't set ivar information for the child instance.
>
> : Am I making an icorrect assumption that I should be able to get information
> : for a PCI bus from this interface?
>
> Maybe.  Are you expecting the parent pci bus to set the idev for the
> child pci bus that you are looking at?  Are you confusing parent and
> child?
>
> The pci_probe routine will call pci_add_children to add children for
> each of the slots on the pci bus.  If a slot has a config, then that
> child is added as a child of pci and its config info is set as the
> ivar for the child, and pci_add_resources is called to populate the
> child's resource structures.
>
> I think that the bridge chip will have the ivars of the parent bus,
> but that bridge chip doesn't set ivars for the child pci bus that it
> creates, nor should it.  Maybe this is what you are running into.
Ok... I think I am following this :)

Basically, what I need is the type 1 header config for this bridge chip
that a particular 'pci_attach()' is being called on behalf of.

--
David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Acting Lab Director                       | NYSLP: FREEBSD