Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:58:01 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Mark Blackman <mark.blackman@netscalibur.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: building sparc64 bits.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 01:07:33PM +0000, Mark Blackman wrote:
> There's a couple of general points I'm not clear on with
> respect to building code on the sparc64 port.
>
> A) Does it do self-hosted buildworlds yet, and if not, as I suspect,
> how close are they?

No.  Depends on when I finish off what is needed.
Not being fully self-hosting is no excuse for either (1) not trying
FreeBSD on the platform; or (2) actually using the platform for
development.

> B) Is the current recommended practice to do all building on some
> handy i386 platform with cross-platform compilation capability
> and NFS/tftp/ftp the bits over to the sparc64 machine as required?

No.  We have a hosted (runs on Sparc64, generates binaries for Sparc64)
toolchain, just not a native one that can be used in `make world'.