Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 1995 13:00:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      faulkner@mpd.tandem.com (Boyd Faulkner)
To:        mmead@goof.com (matthew c. mead)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mounting msdos, invalid fdisk partitions?

>      I didn't notice any functional difference until I tried to mount the msdos
> partition on my second hard drive this evening.  I still get the problems
> at boot when the drives are first accessed and partitions are "rejected" for
> not residing entirely within the freebsd slice.  For some reason this is now
> preventing me from mounting /dev/sd1e (which used to work).  Anyhow, if anyone
> knows what's up, please let me know.  Thanks!

Assuming you are running current...

msdos partitions are now, no longer put into the disklabel but are detected
separately.  Figure out which partition the DOS partition is in and
access that as /dev/sd1sX where X is 1,2,3,4.  Extended partitions are 5,6,...

Remember that the output of FreeBSD fdisk is 0,1,2,3 so you must add 1.

Boyd

 Boyd Faulkner                                  faulkner@isd.tandem.com