Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 16:49:51 -0600
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Cc:        John Preisler <john@vapornet.net>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: celeron smp hack

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 11:52:27PM -0800, Darryl Okahata wrote:
> > http://www.bxboards.com/dual.htm
> >
> > anyone brave enough to try such a hack?  is it stable?

My son and I did this with one of his systems.  We spent about 6 hours
on the first processor and 2 on the second making the modifications (it
really helped to know what we were doing).  So far, his system has been
stable at 375MHz but not at 450MHz.

>      That's the hard way.  For the easier way, see the various dual
> celeron articles at:
>
> 	http://www.cpu-central.com/

Our preference would have been to do it the easier way (with the MSI
converter boards), but he was unable to locate any within the timeframe
that we would have needed them so we modified the slot 1 processor
boards.  I've also heard that there are converter boards available with
jumpers to effect the change, though I've never seen them or anyplace
claiming to have them so they may not exist.

Doing the mods to the processor boards wasn't too bad but it is fairly
tedious and requires pretty good soldering skills.  Also, had I not had
a stereo microscope I doubt that I would have been successful (the wires
and land patterns on the boards are pretty small).

Bob

--
Bob Willcox             The man who follows the crowd will usually get no
bob@luke.pmr.com        further than the crowd.  The man who walks alone is