Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 09:40:04 -0500
From:      Andrejs Vanags <andrejs@crl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   a.out programs are not executable!  cant run any programs..

Hi, I just bought FreeBsd 2.2.1 from Walnut Creek Cdrom.

I installed it and even recomplied the kernel with no problems.
However if I try to compile a simple hello.c program with gcc, the
result is a.out. If I type a.out it says command not found. If I say
file a.out it  says it is a:
BSD/i386 compact demand paged dynamically linked executable not
stripped. If I do file gcc it says the same but without the not stripped
part, so I recompiled gcc -s hello.c, got a.out and still doesnt work.

If I go startx and tkdesk, from tkdesk I click on the (red) a.out and it
works, giving "hello, world". But if I try a bigger program then it wont
work.

How come BSD doesnot recognize a.out as an executable? I tried compiling
with -Q but no difference If I compile with gcc -Z it say I have no
/etc/magic file.  Booo..  I cannot compile any programs directly.
Apparently the Makefiles work since it install fine, but I dont know how
to use a makefile. I looked in the Makefiles and tried to copy the
compiling options but still doesnt work. I look at the man page for
a.out but did not give practical help.

HELP! how do I run a program after I do gcc and get a.out?  typing a.out
does not work!

Any response will be greatly appreciated ...  Yours Truly,

                              Andrejs Vanags
                              andrejs@crl.com