Date:      Fri, 04 Jun 1999 00:24:39 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        rdmurphy@vt.edu
Cc:        "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Matlab 5.3

"Russell D. Murphy Jr." wrote:

> running (steps listed below).  The problem I still have (I think) is
> some residual inconsistency in accessing directories and files from
> within the linux programs and script files.  For instance, when I run
> Matlab and execute the "helpdesk" command, Matlab tries to start up a
> web browser which will read an html file created in /tmp.  But, it
> seems unable to create the file:

I believe there are some inconsistencies in the way the overlaying is
performed. Depending on the syscall, the result is sometimes below
/compat/linux and sometimes not. This can be solved by creating the patch
in advance (as you have done).

Another problem is with the Linux/FreeBSD mix in conjunction with
overlaying. If a Linux application passes a path to a FreeBSD application,
for example /tmp/foobar then a Linux application looks for
/compat/linux/tmp/foobar by default (mind the abstraction, will ya :-).
With the given path and the actual location (under /compat/linux) FreeBSD
binaries will complain.

The first problem is something I like to address if I have the time. The
second problem can be solved most of the time by using Linux binaries
instead of FreeBSD binaries (in your case you can instaal a Linux
webbrowser) or, alternatively, make sure the path specification matches the
actual location.

> Perhaps related: after installation, I wanted to run lmstat to check
> communications with the license manager.  This script calls arch.sh
> which tests for:
>
>         if [ -f /bin/uname ]; then
>
> This should be satisfied:
>
> knock# ls -l /compat/linux/bin/uname
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  5368 Aug  5  1998 /compat/linux/bin/uname
>
> and:
>
> knock# /compat/linux/bin/sh
> bash# ls -l /bin/uname
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     wheel        5368 Aug  5  1998 /bin/uname
> bash# /bin/uname
> FreeBSD

You may want to make sure that the script is interpreted by
/compat/linux/bin/bash and not by /bin/sh. And of course you may want to
make sure [ exists for Linux!
My guess is that this is a typical Linux/FreeBSD mix, because uname is not
located in /bin for FreeBSD, but in /usr/bin!

> (I didn't use Marcel's patch because I'm running -STABLE, not -CURRENT).

The patch is trivial, so that's not a real problem. But I'll take the hint,
I'll make a -stable version as well :-)

> 2.  Install tar-1.12-4.i386.rpm
>     - insisted on --nodeps to install without rmt
>     - if /compat/linux/tmp and /compat/linux/var/tmp are links
>       rather than directories, then the post-installation scripts
>       here and below fail, claiming "too many levels of symbolic
>       links"

That can happen is (for example) /compat/linux/tmp is a link to /tmp and/or
/compat/linux/var/tmp is a link to /var/tmp. For Linux binaries /var/tmp is
the same a /compat/linux/var/tmp!!! I guess there is indefinite recursion
going on...

> 3.  Install sh-utils-1.16-14.i386.rpm
>     - also cracklib-2.7-2.i386.rpm
>     - also cracklib-dicts-2.7-2.i386.rpm
>     - also pwdb-0.55-1.i386.rpm
>     - also sed-3.02-1.i386.rpm
>     - also gawk-3.0.3-3.i386.rpm
>     - also pamconfig-0.51-5.noarch.rpm
>     - also pam-0.64-3.i386.rpm
>     (some of these may not be neccesary, but I simply followed the rpm
>      claims about dependencies)

sh-utils can and needs to be installeds with --no-deps too. You don't want
to drown in pam stuff and such...

[snip]

For the remaining problems, remind the two key problems I mentioned above.
My experience is that it always seems to boil down to one of them. Good
luck,

Maybe you like to write a HOWTO is you get it to work?

--
Marcel Moolenaar                                  mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases                     http://www.scc.nl/