Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:53:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Windriver, Slackware and FreeBSD

On 18-Apr-01 David Johnson wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
>
>> > Windriver's actions had nothing at all to do with licensing, but a lot
>> > to do with casting fear, uncertaintly and doubt upon their Linux
>> > competitors.
>>
>> No, that is incorrect.  WindRiver (not WinDriver or Windriver </rant>) does
>> plan
>> on using at least some FreeBSD technologies in some shape or another.
>
> But they do not need to buy BSDi in order to use FreeBSD. From my layman
> reading of the BSD license, you are not required to buy any company in
> order to use, distribute, modify or profit from FreeBSD. On the other
> hand, buying BSDi gives you rights to BSD/OS, which is not under the BSD
> license.

No they do not.  They do have FreeBSD developers that they can use to help
further technologies in FreeBSD that they may use internally, however.  If I
develop some neat foo-flapper algorithm in FreeBSD, then they can use it in
VxWorks or eBSD or whatever without worry as it will be BSDL'd.  If they are
paying someone to do GPL'd code, they can't pull the code back inside.  "But
you could have the author relicense the code for internal use."  This doesn't
work when your employee is working on a group project with people outside of
the company.