Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 2009 13:44:43 -0400
From:      Martin Turgeon <freebsd@optiksecurite.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Eirik_=D8verby?= <ltning@anduin.net>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't upgrade jails to 8.0 using freebsd-update

Eirik Øverby a écrit :

> On 8. okt. 2009, at 21.04, Martin Turgeon wrote:
>
>> Eirik Øverby a écrit :

>>> It does, but if you do a 'uname -a' - inside or outside the jail -
>>> you'll see that it reports the OS revision of the host. So you
>>> should have updated your jails first, then the host ...
>>>
>> Ok but if I update in the process of upgrading the first jail, the
>> new kernel will be installed and asked to reboot. After that, I will
>> have the same problem when upgrading the other jails and the base
>> system, right? There must be something I don't  understand well.
>> Thanks a lot for your answer.
>
> The kernel will be installed inside the jail, and the message about
> rebooting can be safely ignored. Just run the install command once
> more, and you're done and can move on to the next jail. :)
>
> /Eirik
>

>> Martin
>>> One way to get around it is to replace /usr/bin/uname with a shell
>>> script, which calls the original uname (which you have renamed) and
>>> pipes through something like sed to replace the revision with what
>>> you used to have:
>>>
>>> #!/bin/sh
>>> /usr/bin/uname.org $* | sed s/"8.0-RC1-p0"/"7.2-RELEASE_p3"/g
>>>
>>> And this is a seriously butt ugly hack.
>>>
>>> /Eirik

Thanks a lot! It worked great, but I'm still concerned by the fact that
the world in the jails are from 8.0 while the kernel is still at 7.2
during the updates of the jails. In the normal update procedure, the
kernel is upgraded first, rebooted and then the world is updated. It
must have a good reason for this. Why can I jail be an exception to this
rule?

Martin