Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 2010 16:51 -1000
From:      "Gary Dunn" <osp@aloha.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Kernel Config for NAT

I am setting up a router to share one Wi-Fi link between a few computers =
that only support CAT-5. Like a wireless access point except wired and =
wireless sides are reversed. My question is about the ipfw packet filter. =
>From the handbook section on NAT, 31.9.3, I can achieve what I need with =
boot loader options. Section 31.9.4 describes alternatives for building a =
custom kernel. In contrast, the chapter on ipfw states several times that =
NAT requires a custom kernel - 30.6.1, 30.6.2, 30.6.5.7.

I want to use freebsd-update and building a custom kernel eliminates that =
option.

Which is correct? Do I need to build a custom kernel to use NAT?

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp@aloha.com