Date:      Sat, 26 Dec 1998 16:07:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      Phillip Salzman <psalzman@gamefish.pcola.gulf.net>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Casper <casper@acc.am>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BESS internet filtering

> The only *real* way to totally filter content is to use `allow' lists,
> rather than exclude lists. I personally don't think that content
> filtering is the job of the ISP, with or without disclaimers.

	I agree entirely.  But several customers have requested it,
	and work we are doing with an upstart ISP called Family Internet Services
	(http://www.familyinet.net/) has raised the issue.  They wish
	to provide filtering.  What we are going to do is go in half
	with them on the BESS system, pipe all of their traffic through
	it, and setup certain user accounts to go through it also.

	Those accounts will be extra ones requested by parents for their
	children.  No other accounts will be filtered in any way.

Phillip Salzman