Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 2003 21:36:39 -0800
From:      "John L. Utz III" <john@utzweb.net>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        (Hui) <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>, bod@freebsdfoundation.org, brian@collab.net, calvin.austin@sun.com, rwatson@freesbsd.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org>
Subject:   Re: patchset 2 report (billh's resignation)

John;

Thankyou so much for taking the time to summarize the discussion between you
and bill.

Others have indicated that posting private email is impolitic. That may be
so. Perhaps it might have been best to ask bill before posting, but that seems
somewhat redundant given that the whole thread was about bills desire to
disseminate this discussion to a wider audience. :-)

Given the heat of the discussion, i can certainly see myself posting it under
the title of 'Bill's Job Interview', but i think that after i thought about it
a while after i wasnt so terribly annoyed by his tack, i'd probably reconsider.

I am certainly no stranger to going off on people on FreeBSD mailing lists who
have pissed me off. I can recall going absolutely ape on Rod Grimes because he
thought it was ok to snoop on users. ( no, dont start! :-) )

And just a few months ago Murray felt it pertinent to reprimand me for an
ad-hominem attack on somebody on freebsd-mobile.

So, obviously, i share bill's penchant for hyperbole in my
e-disagreements.

sorry. i wish i was better. i wish he (bill) was better too.

But, it seems to me that your snapshot of the discussion lacks context:

Where's the Request for Proposals?

Where's all the eager emails from the 100's of developers that felt they where
smart enuf to do the job?

Where's all the wailing and gnashing of teeth email from everybody else that
didnt get the job?

Where's the msg's that got Mr. Zelkin the job?

Where's the msg's where Mr. Zelkin said to bill "Dude, umm, just to let you
know, the FBDF is going to *pay* me to work on stuff that you have selflessly
slaved over for thousands of hours pro-bono, and i think it's important that
i, as an *ethical* sort of person, should clue you in."?

While conceding the possibility of taking you out of context, i want to
address the '100 people could have done this job'(paraprased) statement.

IMHO, this is not about competency. There may be other, more competent people
than bill ( there are *probably* more competent people then bill, sometimes he
codes kinda' funny ).

This is about decency. And human relations. And *enthusiasm*, which is really
the only glue that sticks projects together.

Bill has busted galactic ass to get us this far. So have lot's of other
people, but it seems like bill was the only stakeholder excluded from the
decisionmaking? If i where him, i'd be achingly pissed off too!

So, the end result is that we get a totally cool 1.4 jdk at long last.

that's good.

but we deeply alienate someone who did a lot of work to make that possible.

that's suboptimal, and it doesnt look like it ever needed to happen.

yes, i recognize that some folks think that the quality of his work might be
less than optimal, and that his style can be distinctly uncollegial.

That doesnt diminish his contribution, and i hope that he continues to work on
the jvm despite this *incredibly* *demotivating* experience.

and i hope he doesnt take my faint dissin' personally. but if he does, tuff
fucking shit! :-)

i hope that FBSDF takes a slightly more open approach to dolin' out the loot
in the future.

i take justin's point that running the FBSDF is a lot of work. and i assume that this
probably *wasnt* a 'fuck bill' session, it was just folks trying to get
something done.

but going slower and being more public would have done a world of good.

Take the lessons of NASA's shuttle disaster to heart: talk long, talk loud,
talk often.

i've been on this list for a dang long time now, and this sudden emergence of
1.4. stuff just seemed really surprising, and now i know why.

i dont think it was good to be surprised.

just my us$0.02

johnu
freebsd user since october of 1993, aka spaz@u.washington.edu