Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 1998 10:32:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lorder problem: aout vs. elf (and GNU Configure problem too)

Just a note on what kinds of fun lorder can provide,
I have spent two evenings recovering my system back from mangling
all my libs.  Funny how all you really need to build
a system by hand is a spare libc.so.3.1 8-().  Like that
one sitting in /usr/lib just by luck because I was too
lazy to noschg it when I blew the rest away... Anyway,
when I sat down to get to know that troll^H^H^H^Helf
somehow lorder got installed as an executable zero
length file, and "ar cq libeverybody.a `lorder ${OBJS} | tsort`"
fails silently, where a valid lib format file is created but
no .o's are added, and there is an ampersand in the target
in bsd.lib.mk that keeps these sordid goings on extra
clean and quiet.  So that valid but empty lib gets installed...
*ouch*.  This goes on for while, and then things get
interesting...  My major blunder was to attempt to trip
trap across the bridge with just a make all install.

I will make buildworld
I will make buildworld
I will make buildworld...

Now on to figuring out if it really is softupdates
causing my -bleeding-edge-current to wedge once a day.

Wheee!  It's a bumpy ride right now... 8-)
Russell