Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 09:28:03 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        iedowse@maths.tcd.ie
Cc:        cjc@FreeBSD.ORG, veldy@veldy.net, patrick@stealthgeeks.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall config non-intuitiveness

In message: <200201261349.aa24682@salmon.maths.tcd.ie>
            Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie> writes:
: In general, xxx="NO" in rc.conf means "dont start xxx", it doesn't
: mean "don't start xxx, and if there is one running, kill it", i.e.
: ="NO" is an instruction to the rc scripts to do nothing (I'm sure
: there are a few exceptions). I think the existing firewall_enable
: behaviour is consistent with this, but a new "DISABLE" option could
: be added without any problems.

I agree.  The last thing we should be doing is autotmatically
disabling a security feature by some rc setting.  We do similar things
with our firewall stuff on a couple of our machines because we need to
do some custom things before turning it on that don't fit the current
rc paradigm.

Warner