Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2000 17:48:32 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Import of tcsh into src/contrib/, replacing src/usr.bin/csh

> On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, David O'Brien wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 06:15:48PM -0400, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> > > What is stopping you from adding libedit support to /bin/csh in the same
> > > way it was added to /bin/sh?
> >
> > I deemed importing Tcsh easier than hacking on csh.  Plus Tcsh is
> > maintained.  We don't really have a csh maintainer.  Also libedit doesn't
> > do command line completion.
>
> Why can't it do command line completion?
>
> el_set(e, EL_ADDFN, ...) is the hook you would use to do command line
> completion.  I'm not sure what the problem is here.

Because the work has already been done.

Basically, the counter-arguments are all bunk.  There aren't any
substantial syntactic differences between the ancient version of tcsh that
we call 'csh' and the modern version. Installing it under a different name
reduces to some degree its usefulness and makes the bloat issue worse.

I'm not sure quite where this burst of fear-of-progress and basic
luddite-ism came from; I guess we've been making so much progress
elsewhere that the establishmentarianists had to find something they felt
they could resist safely.

Come on, ladies.  Be daring; do something new first for a change.