Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:17:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Volker Paepcke <scratchy@vulcan.franken.de>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: JWS2.0/libawt.so trouble

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Nate Williams wrote:

> > > That should do the trick.  The other solution would be to move javaloc
> > > completely out of the picture, and have it use the *script*, which it's
> > > supposed to do. ;(
> > > # Check for java interpreter.
> > > #
> > > JAVA_VM=${JAVA_VM:-"java"}
> > > javaloc="${_SS_JDK_HOME}/bin/"
> > >          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > That is the 'portable' solution, but I'm not sure if it'll work.  (It
> > > should.)
> > The second fix (the 'portable' solution) works fine for me now :-)
>
> Great!
>
> > I assume that the THREADS_TYPE environment variable must
> > be set for the JVM to find the correct libraries. Setting the
> > LD_LIBRARAY_PATH is not enough.
>
> Actually, no.  We just took the need for such things out, since it's
> non-portable.
>

> Nate

Hi all,

I can also confirm that changing the definition of javaloc to:

javaloc="${_SS_JDK_HOME}/bin"

(note that there is _NO_ terminating / in the definition) fixed the
problem for me -- Thanks Nate for all your help and the extremely rapid
turn-around!  Sorry I didn't get back to you last night as promised.  I
found that I needed a break once I got home.

I now have jws running great.  Thanks Amancio for your postings on how to
get it running!  I did find that I had to change the preference for
"Builder" to "Use JDK java compiler (standard)" in the "Preferences"  menu
in order to actual build a package.  Once I did this I could build the
checkers demo applet and it ran just fine!  This is excellent!

O.K.  On to installing the Swing bits...

Thanks again,

Tom