Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:56:26 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        "Luchezar Petkov" <luchezar.petkov@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: configgen.sh automake problem

Michael Pope <map7@optusnet.com.au> writes:

> I'm having a problem with aclocal and Automake when I'm running
> configgen.sh for inkscape on FreeBSD 5.4.
>
> Here is the error:
>
> ===> Running aclocal...
> aclocal: couldn't open directory
> /usr/local/gnu-autotools/share/aclocal': No such file or directory
> ===> Running autoheader...
> ===> Running libtoolize...
> ===> Running automake...
> configure.ac:12: version mismatch.  This is Automake 1.9.6,
> configure.ac:12: but the definition used by this AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
> configure.ac:12: comes from Automake 1.8.5.  You should recreate
> configure.ac:12: aclocal.m4 with aclocal and run automake again.
> ===> Running autoconf...
> ===> Configure script created successfully
>
> What is aclocal?  There isn't any man page on it.  How do I recreate
> my aclocal.m4 using the 1.9.6 version (which is installed)?

There was some thrashing over the autotools in recent days, but I
don't recall the details; please check the mailing list archives
(might be the ports list; I'm not sure) for opinions by people who
(unlike myself) know what they're talking about.

Definitely make sure that you only have the latest versions of the
autotools involved, and if you haven't updated libtool so that you
only have the 1.5 release, do that.