Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 2004 21:23:09 +0300
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        Wayne Pascoe <freebsd-feb@penguinpowered.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail server questions (SMTP Auth, Imap and virtual domains)

> From:          Wayne Pascoe <freebsd-feb@penguinpowered.org>

> 2. Setup a webmail solution. I'm currently using Squirrelmail for users
> that exist in /etc/passwd (not very many!), and am considering a
> migration to Horde/IMP. Near as I can tell though it's not the webmail
> client that matters, but the imap server. Does anyone know of an imap
> server that will do 'virtual mailboxes' like vm-pop3d does ?

I'm using Cyrus IMAPD as IMAP backend for my Horde/IMP installation.
Cyrus has its own userbase so you don't need to create UNIX users for
all the mail users. I guess that's what vm-pop3d means by 'virtual
mailboxes'.

It's been working mostly fine since 2001. Only thing to watch out for
is upgrades of the db3 package if you use sasldb authentication (one of
many possible authentication methods in Cyrus). I've been bitten a
couple of times when db3 got portupgraded as a dependency of
'something' and Cyrus was unable to read it's authentication database
which was created with previous version of db3.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* RUNTIME ERROR 6D at 417A:32CF : Incompetent user