Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 15:37:21 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which Ports are what

In the last episode (Sep 24), Gary W. Swearingen said:
> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> writes:
> > The perl section of the ports is programs/modules *written in*
> > perl.
>
> That strikes me as an odd way to categorize software.
>
> I suppose some people don't want Perl on their system and having the
> Perl programs integrated with the mainstream (ie, compiled?) programs
> causes some kind of problem for them.  Isn't there some way to solve
> those problems while allowing the Perl programs to be integrated so
> people can see them in the regular categories?

You do see them in regular categories.  A port can be in many
categories at once.  The current winner is "devel/SWIG-devel", which is
in devel, perl5, python, ruby, and tcl82.

> Or maybe I shouldn't care about port directory structure at all and I
> should only care about the categorization of the ports html files
> (which then shouldn't be in the ports directories)?

Correct.  In fact, if you look at the physical layout of the ports
tree, you'll notice there is no perl/ directory at all.  The Perl
category is a virtual one.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com