Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 1998 00:36:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        root@krabi.mbp.ee
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preferred way (or FAQ) for upgrading 2.2 to 3.0-CURRENT

 * I have 2*200PPro system running 2.2-STABLE and would like to use second
 * CPU as well... have successfully tested 3.0-CURRENT on monoprocessor 486
 * system.

I have upgraded about 20 systems a couple of months ago.  It was
pretty much just make world, make kernel, and reboot.  They are now
running a "97.12.26.08.00.00" system and have been pretty stable.

One hitch was that the new "reboot" won't work with the old kernel (it
will dump core and hang the system cold), so I had to make a backup of
/sbin/reboot and use it to restart the system.

Also, you will need to recompile a lot of ports due to changed utmp
sizes, but I already had our 2.2-stable systems running with 16-byte
usernames so this wasn't a problem for us.

Satoshi