Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2001 23:34:45 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@mail-in.net>
To:        ade@FreeBSD.ORG, will@physics.purdue.edu
Cc:        DougB@DougBarton.net, ernst@jollem.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:_Getting_rid_of_pkg-comment_(Was:_Supporting_pkg-plist.gz_=3F)?=

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001 13:01:20 -0500, Ade Lovett wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 12:54:12AM -0500, Will Andrews wrote:
> > Come on now Doug!  Think about it.  There's no easy way to collapse the=
> > all, unless you'd like to take away "make makesum" (and before you say
> > it could be scripted:  NO!  :-).  Though I guess putting DESCR in the
> > Makefile wouldn't be so hard... hmm...
> =

> Agreed.  I am now looking at syncing our ports tree as much as possible
> with NetBSD (and by association, OpenBSD), so that as and when OpenPackag=
es
> happens, we will be able to call upon (though not necessarily get :),
> the combined experience of the ports teams of all three BSDs, which in
> of itself is a good PR exercise.
> =

> Those changes are two-fold:
> =

> =091. collapse pkg-comment into Makefile/COMMENT=3D
> =09   pkg-descr remains as is

While I agree that we should get rid of pkg-comment, but still not
convinced that it should move into Makefile. So far, I did not see
any good arguments for it other than "it is how NetBSD did". Frankly
speaking it is a very poor reason, because our ports systems already
differ significantly, so benefit is quite neglible. IMO, more logical
would be to merge it with pkg-descr to (a) keep all documentation
in the one place, thus simplifying its update when necessary and
(b) prevent overloading Makefile with yet another mandatory variable.

> =092. implement true versioning support for dependencies
> =

> I have a scratch box ready to go with this, and am soliciting help.

That would be really nice. You can count on me - feel free to contact
me when you need a help.

-Maxim