Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 1997 16:21:47 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Jason McKay <jmckay@argo.net.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Disconnecting after PPP

Jason McKay writes:
 > I have just got PPP going on our FreeBSD machine for dial-in users.
 > Everything appears to be working ok, apart for two things:
 >
 > 1.  The BSD box is not routing onto our LAN, the PPP users can only access
 > the BSD box and nothing else.

Do you have your system configured to be a gatway in /etc/sysconfig?

	# If you want this host to be a gateway, set to YES.
	gateway="YES"

If not, your system will not "forward" packets between interfaces, which
is clearly what you want to happen. ;^)

 > 2. If the user is using PPP and drops carrier, the user remains logged on.
 > How do I stop this from happening.

You must configure your modem to drop the CDC or Carrier Detect signal
when the line hangs up.  If using pppd, make sure the dial-in line has
hangup control 'hupcl' enabled as well (I think IIJPPP does this
automagically).

 > With out this list server, I would not be able to set up FreeBSD.. Therefore
 > thank you to everyone who has replied to my messages laterly.  If anyone has
 > a solution for these two, I would be very greatful.

I hope this helps.