Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:27:54 -0800
From:      Robby Desmond <rdesmond@els.ucsb.edu>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   3c595s on 4.2.6

Hey all,

I'm building a Snort box and want to have two ip-less nics for detecting
and one with IP for management. Using the hardware I've got (since we're in
a budget crunch), I've scavenged together a Compaq Deskpro 4000, which has
a built-in 10/100 NIC, to be used for management and a couple of old spare
3c595s we've got.

The 595s are calling for the vx kernel driver, and I was wondering why my
generic kernel only loaded one of them, so I explicitly stated, in the
kernel config, to load two, vx0 and vx1. Now they both appear, but they
don't actually work.

I can ifconfig them up, but what happens is that one doesn't respond at all
(no light on the hub), while the other immediately kills the hub by
flooding it - the link light comes on, but so does the collision light,
permanently, and my other workstation loses outside connection.

I'm working with 4.6.2. Anyone got suggestions? (I'm off-list, so please
include my address in replies.)

-Robby

Robert Desmond
Systems Administrator