Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 01:33:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
To:        matt@fear.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How Is The FeeBSD OS Like and Different Than Say Redhat or Suse LINUX

Thomas (Matt) Barton writes:

> Another great thing about the ports collection is that everything
> gets installed in /usr/local.  I don't have to worry about /etc
> getting cluttered, as well as /bin, /usr/sbin, etc.  There are a
> few exceptions, of course, such as qmail which goes to /var/qmail,
> but that is about it.

Every FHS-compliant Linux distribution reserves /usr/local
for _you_ to use. It is for _local_ stuff only.

Doesn't this make sense? If you compile a home-grown or self-ported
app for FreeBSD, where would you put it? I hope you don't dump it
in /usr/local with all the stuff provided by FreeBSD! It looks like
you need a /usr/local/local or /usr/local_I_REALLY_MEAN_IT for this.

Putting emacs under /usr/local is a relic from the days when
you'd buy a real UNIX system without emacs. It made sense,
since you were installing local (your site) additions. Now you
get emacs on a CD-ROM along with the rest of your OS.

Why worry about /etc becoming "cluttered" anyway? You only push
the problem into another location. Now /usr/local/etc is cluttered.
If you simply want to cut the "/bin/ls" output in half, then you
might do better with /1/etc /2/etc /3/etc... but why at all?
If performance is a problem, work on the filesystem. If being hard
to glance over is a problem, you don't gain anything by having
more places for junk to collect.