Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 2009 00:23:51 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        stan <stanb@panix.com>
Cc:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>, Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Help with CUPS reconfiguration

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 17:22:39 -0500, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
> It tells me how to configure cups, but as far as I can
> tell, it does not tell me how to get cups to regenerate /etc/printcap,
> which is what I need to do.

I have very few experience with CUPS (prefer apsfilter or PS),
but as far as I understood, the printcap file is altered
every time a printer is changed. So when you remove the
existing printer and create it again, all files should be
regenerated, both the /etc/printcap file as well as the
files in the /usr/local/etc/cups subtree.

Deleting and recreating still sounds like the "Windows"
way of doing things, but due to my impression that CUPS
is designed in a way that it appeals this special kind
of users' expectations, this may be the only way to achieve
your goal.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany