Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:25:40 +0800
From:      Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need a mojor dev number..

> On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth wrote:
>
> > I'm porting the 3dfx driver to FreeBSD (as released by Daryl Strauss) and am
> > in need of a major number so I can actually get this thing going. Can someone
> > hand me something? This looks quite straightforward otherwise.
>
> Please tell me that you are porting Glide to FreeBSD!  I am dying for a
> FreeBSD glide since its the only currently working freeware unix 3D
> hardware solution but I just don't have the time to take on a glide port
> as well as everything else...

Weeellll... I'm porting the device driver, as to run the Linux Glide libs you need root privs to do the portio stuff when you don't have an operable /dev/3dfx. Certain Linux 3d applications are setuid, but reset themselves as nobody once they start. This then screws up subsequent port I/O. To free myself from this noxiousness (and because I'm tired of running a custom version of the Linux emulator), I've decied to port the device driver so that the Linux libraries can use it. It will need a couple of additions to linux_ioctl.c & one of the .h files, but I'm sure that's more acceptable than the truck-sized security hole my current "fix" involves. If Daryll Strauss would stop moving the goalposts all the time I'd consider asking for permission from 3dfx to do this, but I'm waiting until he has the multi-texture & SLI support in Glide.

	Stephen
--
  The views expressed above are not those of PGS Tensor.

    "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
     the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
     this is not true."            Robert Wilensky, University of California