Date:      Thu, 3 Nov 2005 09:49:00 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>, Victor Snezhko <snezhko@indorsoft.ru>
Subject:   Re: CURRENT + amd64 + user-ppp = panic

On Thursday 03 November 2005 12:40 am, Victor Snezhko wrote:
> Vladimir Kushnir <vkushnir@i.kiev.ua> writes:

> >> This results in two consecutive callout_stop() calls, but shouldn't hurt
> >> as callout_stop is protected against that.
> >>
> >> Do you get a dump for this?  Can you compare this pointer to the global
> >> llinfo_nd6 and see if "c" from the softclock() frame is related (or
> >> maybe the previous item in the list TAILQ).
> >
> > Sorry I'm not very goot at debugging. Would you please give me some
> > instructions (lamer's level, preferably :-)). And anyway I'll be able
> > to do it tomorrow only.
>
> In the meantime, I want to debug this too. I would insert a panic()
> call somewhere in the beginning of nd6_llinfo_settimer(), but there is
> a problem. nd6_llinfo_settimer() is called not only when I start ppp,
> but at bootup too (at bootup - once, I think that this is due to
> initializing lo0 interface, which has a default ipv6 address). Could I
> somehow make the kernel not panic at boot time and panic later, when I
> call ppp?

You can either add a sysctl that starts off as 0 and only panic if the sysctl
is 1.  You can then boot, change the sysctl to 1, and then run ppp.
Alternatively, you could use kdb_enter() to enter the debugger instead of
panic().  You could then just continue using 'c' when you drop into ddb
during boot.