Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 1996 14:38:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, toor@dyson.iquest.net, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stereo RealAudio for FreeBSD!

> >From The Desk Of Charles Henrich :
> > RA is fine for low low bandwidth, but Xing! is much much MUCH (and standards
> > based) better than RA for high quality streams.
> >

> Well, neither is really a standard. For instance, I don't have the
> protocol specs for Xing Stream's works and the low end mpeg streams
> are not standards compliant at least that was the case 8 months ago
> or so with  Xing Stream Works. If you noticed Real Audio's quality
> is getting better and it has native binary so support FreeBSD 8)

I certainly happy that Real Audio is supporting us!!!  I do want a
scheme to archive some of my code and test results for audio processing
toys that I am playing with.  zip just doesn't work for audio files.  If
I get a 5:1 compression, I would be happy (if there weren't any artifacts.)

So, sorry if anyone takes my criticism as "being negative."  I have been
perhaps using the "wrong tool", but also trying to get by with it :-)...

Frankly, I am impressed, especially with the very low bandwidth that some
of these schemes can handle.

John