Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2000 22:51:40 -0400
From:      Ted Sikora <tsikora@home.com>
To:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPPoE

Dan Ts'o wrote:

> > Just FYI, Bell Atlantic (I guess they're now called Verizon) is deploying
> > the same junk.  I mean, PPPoE is *so* wasteful, with THIRTY extra bytes
> > of overhead per frame (10 bytes of LLC/SNAP header, 14 bytes of Ethernet
> > header, plus 6 bytes of PPPoE header), compared to direct PPP over ATM.
> > So our northern friends are not alone in this situation...
>
>         My own experience with PPPoE and HellAtlantic Infospeed is
> absolutely horrid. It is no coincidence that BA is ranked at the
> absolute bottom in the national ratings on www.dslreports.com. Stay
> away if at all possible -- you truly don't get what you don't pay for...
> We are switching away from BA as fast as we can.

They have SNET/SBC in my area. According to them it uses DHCP
not PPPoe.(Yet their faq says PPPoe?) I ordered it for the 14th
out of curiosity. See how it stands up to cable. Anyone have experience
with SNET DSL? I ordered it with NTPLEX.net as my ISP. You can chose
your own ISP.

--
Ted Sikora
Jtl Development Group