Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2014 23:42:15 +0000
From:      Lucius Rizzo <Lucius.Rizzo@Lucius.XxX>
To:        Reko Turja <reko.turja@liukuma.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommend FreeBSD VPS

* Reko Turja <reko.turja@liukuma.net> [2014-02-20 15:15]:
> From: Lucius Rizzo
> >* Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net> [2014-02-19 15:53]:
>
> >>Be aware of who your neighbors are if your VPS needs to send email,
> >>or if you feel icky about getting a cheap VPS by moving into a shady
> >>neighborhood.
>
> I've been shopping for new VM/Co-lo for our hobbyist/arts/small business
> server and RootBSD seems to fit the bill exactly with their pricing and
> options. Does anyone have experience how tight shipo they are running with
> regards to spamming etc? Of course, having Hetzner and OVH supply the
> spamming demand here in Europe, other providers might be spared altogether
> ;)
>
> >However, running a MTA (Or the entire mail/web) infrastructure is not an
> >easy endeavor. Nor is it always done right. Having newbs delve into
> >this world - past the SEO blogging wordpress spam, will just mean that...
>
> //rant

heh..true.

> Someone once said that real world is complicated and that makes email
> servers automatically complicated too. In many cases it seems that people
> automatically qualify as smtp and DNS admin once they can install some
> flavor of desktop linux on their personal machines. This is my personal pet
> peeve, people sending mail with headers telling that sender is
> xxx@myhosteddomain.whatever. You can't these days just forward messages with
> sender info kept intact, as modern spam and bounce prevention means that
> some random guy in internet can't sign the mails on our behalf...

Well, this is one of the reasons why I like DKIM (via OpenDKIM) to sign
outgoing email. IMO its a slightly better way than to sign outgoing
email with gpg. Plus SPF records.

However, with the proliferation of Google Apps, Office 365 etc, many a
times most people do not run their own mail infrastructure. This has
been a good thing in a way.

--

++ Performance: ++
++ 	A statement of the speed at which a computer system works.  Or ++
++ 	rather, might work under certain circumstances.  Or was rumored ++
++     	to be working over in Jersey about a month ago. ++