Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 11:08:32 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Martin Kammerhofer <mkamm@icg.tu-graz.ac.at>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG, Martin Kammerhofer <dada@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at>
Subject:   Re: kernel symbols (was: netstat is not working)

On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, Martin Kammerhofer wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Jun 1998, Ekaterina N. Ivannikova wrote:
>
> > Ok, it seems the way to go would be to make dumpnlist dump addresses
> > netstat needs, then change it to read the file "symbols".
> >

>   One thing I didn't copy from FreeBSD's ``release'' source tree is that
> ugly ``symbols'' hack. I devised a way to avoid this duplication of
> functionality and will present it here in the hope it might be useful for
> PicoBSD developers. It must be said though, that my approach would need
> reworking for a ELF kernel.

It looks interesting, and if I knew it 3-4 months ago I'd go this way. But
now... The ugly hack is not to make netstat and ps happy but to save the
changes from userconfig, and this works with (I think) minimal overhead.

As for the netstat & co. - 3.0-really-current includes enough framwork to
retrieve this data via sysctl's - one just needs to write the (small)
utilities to do this.

Andrzej Bialecki