Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2000 12:35:57 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I deleted my shell by mistake!!

While I agree with most of the sentiments expressed by people saying
that much bad can come of changing root's shell, let me provide some
food for thought:

	1. He could have just as easily removed whatever shell root
	normally uses.

	2. Different versions of UNIX make different choices for the
	(default) root shell.  There is something to be said for changing
	it to be consistent so you don't have to remember which system
	you're on.

	3. Having a shell you're comfortable with makes life much easier
	when something bad happens.  You don't want to be messing around
	trying to remember what does and doesn't work in this shell, or
	making typos because you're doing everything long-hand just to
	be safe, when you're trying to fix a disaster.

It's an area (like many in sys admin) where you need to assess the
costs and benefits in your own environment.

Personally, I tend to leave them they way they're installed on the
assumption that the "vendors" have picked a shell that will always
be there (even if the only filesystem I have is /).  And having
done that, I occasionally get bitten because I try to do a loop,
for example, and I use the wrong syntax.

Cheers,
Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Systems Manager					Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319