Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 96 15:51:32 +0200
From:      Raf Schietekat <flexus!rfschtkt@colds.ruca.ua.ac.be>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   After installing FreeBSD 2.1, my computer won't boot

I've got the following (E)IDE disks: 800 MB, ATAPI CD-ROM on the first
controller, 1 GB, 1.6 GB on the second controller. I installed FreeBSD on the
(newly acquired) last disk, using the floppy generated for ATAPI from VIEW.EXE.
I requested a booteasy boot manager.

When I rebooted, the system said
NO ROM BASIC
SYSTEM HALTED
I can still boot all kinds of things from floppy, though.

How does a system start up? First try the floppy, then some things on hard
disks that were detected (what exactly), then some internal ROM? Very naively,
I would suspect that the MBR has been damaged, so that the system tries that
internal ROM and gives an error message for that?

I have Windows 3.11 and Windows NT on the first two disks. How can I restore
the MBR that previously invoked NTLDR, the ``booteasy'' of Windows NT, if that
is a correct analysis? I've read the ``Installing and Running FreeBSD'' manual,
but didn't find the answer there.

Raf Schietekat, RfSchtkt@maze.ruca.ua.ac.be (NeXTmail), Flanders, Belgium
If I don't answer: my mail relay can't handle !, % or .uucp, I think

*** The year 2000 will be the last year of the 20th century. ***