Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 14:51:14 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@video-collage.com>
Subject:   Re: Stopping the bloody cross posting.

On Wed, Jul 15, 1998 at 12:32:44AM -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> Sue Blake once stated:
>
> =If it really were relevant to that many lists, it should go out just
> =once, through freebsd-announce. If it's not appropriate for -announce,
> =then it's not appropriate for more than two lists. In fact, I have yet
> =to see a message that I regard as being appropriate for as many as two
> =lists.
>
> This is a practical observation, and does not eliminate the
> theoretical possibility of the need to use more then two lists at
> a time.

Theoretically, if it's that important there's nothing stopping you
sending the message twice yourself. A small imposition relative to the
number of people who you wish to take time to read it.

> =There's no way you could make this work for me. I subscribe to the
> =different lists under different user names, a few lists for each user.
> =How are you going to stop me getting pissed off by your lazy-thinking
> =crossposts? You can't.
>
> Well, if you say in advance "there's no way you could make this
> work for me" about _anything_ I would not even try. Please, consider
> changing your tone, those are not my "lazy-thinking crossposts"...

No, actually that was a response to Greg's words and I think he's used
to my spontaneous outbursts by now, while the "you" was a hypothetical
somebody, rather than directly mentioning those who have been spamming
several lists recently with incessant chatter about
my-thing-is-bigger-than-your-thing. When this happens it is usually
lack of forethought or lack of awareness of how to play ball.

> What about "the ability to innovate" ;-> ?

Innovate? Do you mean like using a highly individualistic quoting
character that my mailer doesn't understand, and including an X-Face:
header? I could be more innovative too if I wanted to stand out, but
I'd be reluctant to force it on others.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-