Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 04:57:13 -0500
From:      Yura Socolov <yura@binary.net>
To:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDROM as system disk

On Wed, Oct 07, 1998 at 02:18:11AM -0700, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> At 12:17 AM 10/7/98 -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> >CDBSD? :)
>
> Run with this.  With 32x CDROM drives as cheap as they are, and the ability
> to burn CD's pretty accessible, this would be a *very* economic way to
> provide standard distributions in an institutional setting.  There's some
> other things in /etc I'd want to be able to change without having to create
> a new CD (for example, /etc/nologin), but that's a matter of configuration

Another option can be LSBSD -- on a 120M LS120 floppy disk. Those run less then
$90 lately, the disk costs around $10 or so, but it's writeable and so on...

That would eliminate all read-only problems, and FreeBSD can run beautifully
on 120M.

Copying those disks is also not a problem, obviously.

I am not sure about support of those drives, though, since i've never had
one myself.

-- yu