Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2007 08:18:35 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Fabio Checconi <fabio@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, Ulf Lilleengen <lulf@stud.ntnu.no>
Subject:   Re: Pluggable Disk Scheduler Project

Quoting Fabio Checconi <fabio@freebsd.org> (from Thu, 11 Oct 2007 =20
13:48:28 +0200):

>> From: Ulf Lilleengen <lulf@stud.ntnu.no>
>> Date: Thu, Oct 11, 2007 10:07:34AM +0200
>>
>> On tor, okt 11, 2007 at 04:20:01 +0200, Fabio Checconi wrote:

>> >     o What can be an interface for disk schedulers?
>> I think the interface developed in [1] is a pretty good one  =20
>> actually. I think
>> the disksort-routines looked as a good place to do this. Even there it mi=
ght
>> not know enough about the hardware.
>>
>> >     o How to deal with devices that handle multiple request per time?
>> This is an example of the problems you get doing this in GEOM. You  =20
>> don't have
>> very good knowledge of the hardware.

One can't pass this info from the lower layers up into GEOM (maybe by =20
adding some attribute querying interface in GEOM if it doesn't exist)?

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
The naked truth of it is, I have no shirt.
=09=09-- William Shakespeare, "Love's Labour's Lost"

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137