Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 23:08:24 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Adam Wight <adamw@holonet.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Among the ATA casualties...

> > > boot -v output using the wd driver follows:
> >
> > That's not very helpful; we know it works.  How about some information on
> > the problem?
>
> Well... I'd sure like to send a boot -v for a kernel using ata... I don't
> have the right hardware here to use a serial console, however.

That's more your problem than ours though.

> Here are the relevant lines from the boot sequence (paraphrased, of course):

> ad0: piomode=4 dmamode=2 udmamode=-1 cblid=0
> ad0: <ST9420AG/08.08.01> ATA-? disk at ata0 as master

Eek.  An old laptop drive.

> ad0: 401MB (822016 sectors), 988 cyls, 16 heads, 52 S/T, 512 B/S
> ad0: 16 secs/int, 1 depth queue, PIO
> Creating DISK ad0
> Creating DISK wd0
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/wd0s1a

Ultimately you'll want to update /etc/fstab (obviously not yet!)

> wd0: invalid primary partition table: no magic

Ok.  It looks like we need more verbose output from the 'ad' driver,
since it believes that it's read the primary partition table, but
obviously hasn't.  This syncs to some degree with the 'wd' driver's
complaining about the recal failing.

> Root mount failed: 6
> Mounting root from ufs:wd0s1a
> wd0: invalid primary partition table: no magic

This destroys my original hypothesis (that the first command was being
ignored).

You'll need to take this up with Soren; I suspect though that the simplest
answer for you is going to be to stick with 'wd' until you get yourself a
less-broken disk, or manage to analyse the problem in greater depth.

The latter would be greatly assisted if you were able to dig into the
'ad' code a little and see what, if anything, is actually failing.