Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:34:04 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gljohns@bellsouth.net>
To:        Mark Ibell <marki@ix.net.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape fonts

>Hi,
>        This has been troubling me for a long time now, but I still find
>it disturbing how many web pages are almost unreadable due to
>rediculouslytiny fonts being present. Increasing the font size under
>Edit/Preferences... doesn't help much - going from 12 -> 14 point
>(variable) or 10 -> 12 point (fixed) is a small improvement. Trying for
>higher point sizes leads to thick and ugly fonts. Everything looks great
>under Windows/Netscape or Windows/IE. So... what's up and what can be
>done about it? Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>  Mark
>
>P.S. Size really does matter :)

Have you tried using 100 dpi fonts for Netscape? You would put the following
in your ".Xdefaults" file:

	*documentFonts.xResolution*iso-8859-1:  100
	*documentFonts.yResolution*iso-8859-1:  100

Of course, you have to have the 100 dpi fonts installed. Using the 100 dpi
fonts does help but does not totally solve the problem however.

--
Glenn Johnson
gljohns@bellsouth.net