Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 22:25:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EGCS optimizations

:Totally informally, I replaced libc (compiled with -O2) with one compiled
:with -mpentiumpro and -O6, and compiling kdebase seemed to run a bit
:slower (GNU make took longer to traverse directories and egcs took a bit
:longer to run).
:
:>     Which leads me to believe that using -Os might be beneficial.
:
:Have you tried anything beyond -O2?
:
:- alex

    There is nothing beyond -O2.  Well, there's -O3, which tries to
    inline static functions, but that typically isn't beneficial because
    it really bloats up the code and subroutine calls on intel cpus are
    very fast.

    The only other optimization that might be useful is -fomit-frame-pointer,
    but it makes debugging impossible.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>