Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 2008 20:54:53 +0300
From:      Panagiotis Christias <p.christias@noc.ntua.gr>
To:        Oleg Sharoiko <os@rsu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7-STABLE, isp(4), QLE2462: panic & deadlocks

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 09:44:15AM +0400, Oleg Sharoiko wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 01:23 +0300, Panagiotis Christias wrote:
>
> > However, when we connect them to the CX3-40, create and mount a new
> > partition and then do something as simple as "tar -C /san -xf ports.tgz"
> > the system panics and deadlocks. We have tried several FreeBSD versions
> > (6.3 i386/adm64, 7.0 i386/adm64, 7.1 i386/adm64 and lastly 7-STABLE i386
> > - we also tried the latest 8-CURRENT snapshot but it panicked too soon).
> > The result is always the same; panic and deadlock.
>
> Try reducing the number of "tagged openings" with 'camcontrol tags' down
> to 46. If it doesn't work try reducing it further to 2. Also be advised
> that I've seen panics with geom_multipath in FreeBSD-7, unfortunately I
> had no time to test it in -current.

Hm.. that would probably explain the fact that I was unable to panic the
system when I had set the hint.isp.0.debug="0x1F" in /boot/device.hints.

Currently I am stress testing the server with the tagged openings set to
44 (first value tested). Until now there is no panic or deadlock. I am
trying concurrent tar extractions and rsync copies. The filesystem looks
ok till now according to fsck. I will let it write/copy/delete overnight
and tomorrow I will try different tagged opening values.

Thank you for the hint! I am wondering what is the performance penalty
with decreased tagged openings. Also, is there anything else I could try
in order to get more useful debug output? I have at least three servers
that I could use for any kind of tests and I am willing to spend as much
time I can get to help solving the problem.

Finally, the only output in the logs is:

Expensive timeout(9) function: 0xc06f4210(0xc67e1200) 0.059422635 s
Expensive timeout(9) function: 0xc08d4fd0(0) 0.060676147 s

I suppose that is related to the CAMDEBUG kernel config options.

Regards,
Panagiotis

--
Panagiotis J. Christias    Network Management Center
P.Christias@noc.ntua.gr    National Technical Univ. of Athens, GREECE