Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:03:40 -0800
From:      kris@citusc.usc.edu
To:        Matt Watson <sideshow@terahertz.net>
Cc:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, cj@vallcom.net
Subject:   Re: Buffer vulnerability in BitchX irc client

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 11:42:47AM -0600, Matt Watson wrote:
> This bug is already known to the bitchx coders and has already been
> patched in the CVS.  Shortly i will be posting the patches for 75p3 and
> 1.0c17 on www.bitchx.org and ftp.bitchx.org as soon as i get my hands on
> them.  I'm not the maintainers of the port but I do run the bitchx.org
> sites, so, should the port be downloading from ftp.bitchx.org there will
> be no need to include a special patch in the port.

Please don't modify an already released version without changing the
version number - it will change the MD5 checksum for a start, so the
port will no longer build, and makes more work for port maintainers
when they have to go into the distfile and compare it with the old
version to find out what changed.

Kris