Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 13:42:36 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Koyo Kumagai" <SysAdmin@po.teleway.ne.jp>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow response for login prompts

On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 20:31:35 +0900, "Koyo Kumagai" wrote:

> I've installed FreeBSD 2.2.8 and 3.2 on two of my home servers, and
> especially 3.2 is very very slow coming back with a login prompt
> when trying to telnet in... 2.2.8 is better, but it's very random -
> sometimes it comes back instantly, and other times it takes just as
> long as 3.2. Once inside, things are very smooth.

One common cause of this behaviour is a login(1) binary which tries to
use Kerberos.  Does this command produce any output?

	ldd /usr/bin/login |grep krb

If so, then this is almost certainly the cause of the problem.  Comment
out the MAKE_KERBEROS4 line in /etc/make.conf and make world.

Ciao,
Sheldon.