Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 1996 16:10:51 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Jim Owen <jimo@expansion.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network Help

<<On Fri, 15 Mar 1996 17:30:07 -0800, Jim Owen <jimo@expansion.com> said:

> ep0: flags=8e3<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX> mtu 1500
>         inet 204.250.54.151 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 204.250.54.255
>         ether 00:a0:24:3e:03:e0

>     We don't understand the "SIMPLEX" value that is showing up nor do we
> know how to change it.

It indicates that the hardware in incapable of receiving its own
broadcasts (true of most NICs these days because they use the same
memory hardware when receiving and transmitting).  You can't change
it.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.