Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 2020 20:46:42 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Brandon helsley <brandon.helsley@hotmail.com>
Cc:        Ottavio Caruso via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Mininal skills

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 02:13:22 -0600, Brandon helsley wrote:
> I started using FreeBSD about 2 months ago and have purchased books
> like absolute freebsd and have learned a lot.
>
> I can set up a desktop environment that has all the programs I need,
> so that's not the problem. It's that I want to progress past simple
> editing of configuration files and minor system administration tasks
> like the crontab. I want to try and stick with FreeBSD as my main
> and probably mostly only OS. Meaning, I would like to skip the ubuntu
> step.

Great! By the way, I second Ralf's suggestion of using a real
installation on bare metal for first steps, with a secondary
system at hand where you can access online resources in case
of questions. Virtualization surely has its place, but I would
even go further and recommend it: for networking education!
You can create virtual networks on your FreeBSD machine with
VMs, install and test services on them, learn about routing,
about firewalls, about traffic diagnostics and so on.

But always keep in mind that times have changed, and that
people and their capabilities have changed. Technically, there
is nothing wrong with VMs, but as Ralf pointed out correctly,
they also have downsides that might interfere with the goal
of learning...

> It seems as though the FreeBSD docs is the way to go. Just
> read it over a few times, as well as the porters handbook.

Yes, those are valuable resources.

> I'll get straight to it so I can contribute to ports and docs,
> even if it takes a couple years!!!

Depending on _what_ you want to contribute to, it doesn't have
to require years. As I briefly described on how you could, for
example, contribute to OS manpages, you already have all the
"computer functionality" you need; you just have to make some
decisions and learning in the desired field.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany