Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 16:56:03 -0600
From:      Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Preemptive kernel on older X86 hardware

	I should point out that what is being proposed here
is a totally different model for kernel protection. SPLS
go away totally and are replaced by locks, almost always mutexs.
Mutexs protect data, not a thread of control. Saying that a SPL is
replaced by a mutex is still kind of misleading because the model
is so different. I would like to claim that this change is totally
performance neutral, but I don't know that for sure, and never will
until the work is done. It is however very close to neutral. I can
say that a kernel build that takes approximately 30 minutes on an
admittedly slow uniprocessor took about 10 seconds less with the
SMPng kernel. A build is obviously heavy user time.

Chuck