Date:      Sun, 29 May 2016 23:46:51 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marco Beishuizen <mbeis@xs4all.nl>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: x11/xconsole not showing any output

On Sun, 29 May 2016, the wise Polytropon wrote:

>> The permissions of /dev/console look ok:
>> crw-------  1 marco  wheel  0x9 May 29 21:24 /dev/console
>
> This also looks like xdm configuration is not the problem here. Do you
> get any error message when manually starting xconsole from a terminal?

When running plain xconsole without options I get: Couldn't open
console. But starting xconsole with "xconsole -file /dev/console" shows no
errors, except that it doesn't display anything. Testing it with something
like "echo test > /dev/console" results in xconsole staying blank, but
switching to ctrl+alt+f1 shows that the output went to console/ttyv0 just
fine.

So I think xconsole doesn't point to /dev/console (ttyv0) but to ttyv8
(where X is) for some reason.

--
QOTD:
 	"It seems to me that your antenna doesn't bring in too many