Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 1996 08:37:33 -0700
From:      patl@asimov.volant.org
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, TOTO@ifqsc.sc.usp.br
Subject:   Re: UFS and JAZ drive

|>  	I've just bought a JAZ drive (from iomega). I can mount a DOS
|>  file system with mount -t msdos /dev/sd2s4 /dos. However, commands
|>  like disklabel and fdisk doesn't seem to work (disklabel says:
|>  operation not suportted by device...)
|>
|>  	Is there a way to have a Unix file system on these disks? If yes,
|>  what commands shall I use. I'm running 2.1.0-RELEASE.

Hmmm.  I bought two of them a couple of weeks ago, and installed one
as SCSI target zero to allow me to easily choose which OS to run without
worrying about compatible boot blocks or whether one OS might trash
partitions belonging to another.  I had no problem installing FreeBSD
2.1R on a Jaz drive.  I didn't do anything special to prepare the
disk, just the normal install sequence.  (Note that I was installing
onto a blank disk, not the Tools cartridge that comes with the drive.)

One thing to note is that the Tools cartridge is formatted in al way
that makes it compatible with both Mac and MS-DOS/WINDOWS.  They claim
that you must install the tools or reformat the drive to make the whole
thing usable.

There is also some indication that their drives implement some method
of putting a write-protect password on the cartridge.  Possibly the
tools disk is password protected until install/reformat.

In any case, if you have been trying to install onto the Tools
cartridge, you might want to try a blank one instead.

-Pat

My opinions are my own.  For a small royalty, they can be yours as well...
Pat Lashley, Senior Software Engineer, Henry Davis Consulting
patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG                         http://Phoenix.Volant.ORG/